How to Apply for a New Zealand eTA as a Mexican or Japanese Citizen

New Zealand’s Electronic Travel Authority (eTA) allows Japanese and Mexican citizens to travel to New Zealand without obtaining a visa prior to travel. The eTA is approved on the basis of New Zealand’s relationship with the citizen’s country of origin, so if you have visited either Japan or Mexico in the past 5 years, you are eligible to apply for an eTA. If you have never visited these countries, or if you are applying from another country outside of Japan or Mexico, you will be required to obtain a visa in order to enter New Zealand.

The 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions

Get immigration advice and resources specific to your situation. We have 10 of our most frequently asked questions about New Zealand immigration and travel visas answered. Get answers on things like what is an eTA? How do I apply for a New Zealand visa from outside of New Zealand? What are Temporary Visitor visas? These are just some of the many common questions we answer in detail on our website, so check them out! If you can’t find an answer there, contact us—we’re happy to help. New Zealand eTA for Japanese Citizens

Why do I need an ETA?

The Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is an electronic visa that allows you to visit New Zealand without applying for a New Zealand visa. To apply, you must have a passport from Mexico or Japan; an email address; and access to your credit card. If you’re eligible, your ETA can be applied for within 24 hours. Note that although there are no specific fees charged by New Zealand for Mexican citizens who use an ETA, many airlines will charge additional fees if you’re not traveling with your original passport.

Is there an age limit?

Nope. The New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority can be applied for by citizens of Mexico and Japan from ages 18 through 80. However, citizens who are younger than 18 years old may need to have their parents sign on their behalf before applying. Likewise, senior citizens (those older than 80) may also need their children or legal guardians to apply on their behalf if they cannot access computers themselves. That said, it’s safe to say that anyone between those ages is eligible.

What about children?

Children under 18 years of age can travel with their parents or guardian on an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). If you’re traveling with your children, make sure to apply for their ETA along with yours. When you apply, be sure to add your children’s details in the Additional Information section. If you’re traveling alone, make sure that your application includes any dependent children that you have. Your ETA won’t be approved if these details are missing. New Zealand eTA for Mexican Citizens

Does everyone need an ETA?

Whether you’re planning on visiting New Zealand or looking to immigrate, an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) is one of many steps you must take before boarding a plane. While it may seem like everyone needs an ETA, that isn’t actually true. For example, if you’re traveling from North America and don’t intend on leaving New Zealand, an ETA won’t be necessary—you can apply for an eVisitor instead. On top of that, children under 16 years old aren’t required to apply for either type of travel visa; they simply need a passport and proof of parental consent. But these situations aside, here are answers to some common questions about what documents you will need and how long it will take

Do I need an ETA to fly in transit through New Zealand?

New Zealand’s e-Visitor visa requirements only apply if you are entering New Zealand. If you are flying in transit through New Zealand, you do not need an ETA. You must arrive at your destination no more than 48 hours after your original departure from New Zealand, including arrival and departure days. If that is not possible due to cancellation by an airline or issues with flights, contact Immigration New Zealand at

Where can I use my ETA?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is mandatory for all citizens of Mexico and Japan who are traveling to Canada by air. Those who plan on visiting Canada more than once in a 10-year period may be eligible for an Electronic Travel Authorization renewal after five years. Citizens of Japan and Mexico who wish to travel between either country and the United States do not need an ETA; only those that are traveling from Japan or Mexico via Canada require one. If you are planning on traveling from North America, such as from Mexico to New Zealand, you will also need an ETA regardless of citizenship, since it does not affect your US visa status.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top